Episode 6: Monika Robinson discusses occupational therapy in home based primary care
Topics: Occupational Therapy into Home-Based Primary Care
This episode we talk to Monika Robinson, occupational therapist, faculty member at Midwestern University and owner of Living Fully at Home, about integrating occupational therapy into home-based primary care. While primary care might not always be the first place we think about implementing occupational therapy interventions, when it comes to health, wellness, and preventive care, it’s the perfect place to be.
Resources Discussed in this Episode:
- Role of Occupational Therapy in Primary Care. (2020). American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 74(Supplement_3), 7413410040p1. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2020.74s3001
- Rogers, A. T., Bai, G., Lavin, R. A., & Anderson, R. G (2016). Higher hospital spending on occupational therapy is associated with lower readmission rates. Medical Care Research and Review, 74(6). 668-686. https://doi-org.proxy.cc.uic.edu/10.1177/1077558716666981
- Hospitals at Home, a home care model.
- The Independence at home demonstration project.
- The In-Home medication Management Performance Evaluation or (HOME-RX) Murphy, M. C., Somerville, E., Keglovits, M., Hu, Y. L., & Stark, S. (2017). In-home medication management performance evaluation (HOME-Rx): A validity study. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 71(4). https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2017.022756
- Performance Assessment of Self-Care Skills (PASS)
- The Executive Function Performance Test (EFPT)
- In-Home Occupational Performance Evaluation (I HOPE) -Safety assessment of function and the environment for rehabilitation health outcome measurement and evaluation (SAFER HOME)
- Home Centered Care Institute
- Community Aging in Place—Advancing Better Living for Elders (CAPABLE)
- The American Academy of Home Care Medicine
- The National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA)