Amanda Speights, DHSc, OTR/L discusses culturally-informed interventions to support Autistic student participation during virtual instruction.
On this episode Amanda Speights, DHSc, OTR/L discusses her post professional doctoral project focusing on culturally-informed telehealth interventions for Autistic students.
Want more evidence based resources? Check out our resources for professionals.
Resources Discussed in this Episode:
- Culturally-Informed Telehealth Interventions to Support Neurodiverse Student Participation
- Smith, K. A. (2020). Disparities in service use among children with autism: A systematic review. Pediatrics, 145, 35–46. <https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2019-1895 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32238530/>
- Meg Proctor
- Bay Area OT
- Burkett, K., Morris, E., Manning-Courtney, P., Anthony, J., & Shambley-Ebron, D. (2015). African American families on autism diagnosis and treatment: The influence of culture. Journal of Autism & Developmental Disorders, 45(10), 3244–3254. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-015-2482-x
- DuBay, M., Watson, L. R., & Zhang, W. (2018). In search of culturally appropriate autism interventions: Perspectives of Latino caregivers. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 48(5), 1623–1639. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-017-3394-8
- Frankova, H. (2020). The impact of COVID-19 on people with autism, learning disabilities, and mental health conditions. Nursing & Residential Care, 22(6), 1–3. https://doi.org/10.12968/nrec.2020.22.6.10
- Tomchek, S. D., & Koenig, K. P. (2016). Occupational therapy practice guidelines for individuals with autism spectrum disorder. AOTA Press.
- Watling, R., & Spitzer, S. L. (Eds.). (2018). Autism across the lifespan: A comprehensive occupational therapy approach (4th ed.). AOTA Press.
- Zoumenou, V., Sigman-Grant, M., Coleman, G., Malekian, F., Zee, J. M., Fountain, B. J., & Marsh, A. (2015). Identifying best practices for an interactive webinar. Journal of Family & Consumer Sciences, 107(2), 62-69